Masham in Harrogate, Bakewell in Derbyshire, and Barmouth in Gwynedd are the most likely spots to meet like-minded bikers, according to new research
Three small towns with populations of less than 4,000 have been named among the best spots for bikers in the whole of the UK.
New research by Vertu Motorcycles has analysed the locations of hundreds of biker cafes in Britain – determining which parts of the country riders are most likely to find kindred spirits.
Remote locations proved to be the most biker-friendly – with the south-west and south-east of England home to more biker cafes than any other region: 348 in total.
It was, however, a northern town that ranked as the very best spot for bikers to kick back with a coffee and bite to eat.
The tiny market town of Masham in Harrogate was found to have 23 biker cafes serving just 1,205 residents (a ratio of 1 cafe to 52 people).
Bakewell in Derbyshire was also a must-visit for motorcycle enthusiasts, with 31 biker cafes in a town of just 3,695 people.
Barmouth in Wales was another recommended region – with the coastal town of 2,522 people currently home to 21 biker haunts.
|Ranked – most biker-friendly||Location||No. biker cafés||Population||Ratio – biker cafès per person|
|#7||Burton upon Trent||25||72,299||1:2892|
|Ranking – most biker-friendly||Region||No. biker cafés|
|#5||East of England||134|
|#7||Yorkshire and the Humber||105|
Rural areas with open roads were the most biker-friendly areas when viewed regionally – with the highly-congested Greater London having the fewest number of biker cafes in Britain (just 19).
As far as bigger cities and urban towns go, Chester, Bath, Oxford, Bournemouth, Portsmouth and Manchester were among the better choices for biker cafes.
A Vertu Motorcycles spokesperson commented: “Biker-friendly communities are a fantastic way for like-minded bikers to share their passion and join a group of other motorcycle-lovers on the open road.
“While biker cafes aren’t for everyone, they can be a great place to visit, should you be looking to expand your biking community.
“This is something we are looking to bring to more people across the UK with our Vertu Motorcycle Club, which hosts biker-friendly events in Grantham and Nottingham, with more locations soon to be announced.”
The best biker-friendly places in Britain and the top cafes are listed below.
- Fat Monkey, Unit 5b Plews Way, Leeming Bar, Northallerton DL7 9UL
- Platform 1, Bedale Station, Bedale Rd, Aiskew, Bedale DL8 1AW, UK
- The Old Granary, 17 High St, Pateley Bridge, Harrogate HG3 5AP, UK
- Wetton Village Hall, 5 Holiday Cottages, Wetton, Ashbourne DE6 2AF, UK
- Insomnia Coffee Company & Café, Kingsgate Hope Valley S32 3XU
- Route 66, 134 N Parade, Matlock DE4 3NS, UK
- Bath House Café, The Quay Barmouth LL42 1HB
- Caffi Cymunedol, Bethania Nant Gwynant Caernarfon LL55 4NH
- Red Kite Café, Silver-Lead Mine Museum, Aberystwyth SY23 3AB, UK
- Choppersbar, 80 Goulton St, Hull HU3 4DL
- River View Cafe Beverly, 7 Riverview Rd, Beverley HU17 0LD, UK
- Seven Districts – Coffee Roasters – Lincoln, Farmers Arms, Market Rasen Rd, Lincoln LN2 3RD
- A1 Stadium Diner, A151, Colsterworth, Grantham NG33 5JN
- Fatknacks Roadside Diner, A43, Stamford PE9 3QL
- The Coffee Shot, 17 Main St Stathern Melton Mowbray LE14 4HW
- Bridge House Farm, 81 Main St, Wray, Lancaster LA2 8QB, UK
- Goat Gap Café, Lane End, Lancaster LA2 8HS, UK
- PiTTstop Café, First Floor Irving House White Lund Ind Est Morecambe LA3 3AY
Burton upon Trent
- Canalside Farm Shop, 5 Mill Ln, Great Haywood, Stafford ST18 0RJ, UK
- Hunger Hanger, 33 Dakota Rd, Derby DE74 2TL, UK
- Truckers Rest Café, Tollgate Cottage, Watling St, Four Crosses, Cannock WS11 1SF, UK
- Cafe on the Water & Gift Shop, Giffords Ln Downham Chelmsford CM3 8HX
- The Blue Egg, Unnamed Road, Braintree CM7 4PY, UK
- The Cabin Dairy Café, 17 High St, Burnham-on-Crouch CM0 8AG, UK
- Biker’s Food Emporium, 2 Picow Farm Rd, Runcorn WA7 4UB, UK
- Coffee 500, St Michaels Industrial Estate, 17 St Michael’s Cl, Widnes WA8 8TL, UK
- Fourway Café, Harrington Caravans, Northwich CW8 2HG, UK
- No 10 Tea Garden, Unnamed Road, Bradford-on-Avon BA15 2HB, UK
- Farrington’s Farm Shop, Manor Farm, Farrington Gurney, Bristol BS39 6UT, UK
- Willoughby Hedge Café, West Knoyle, UK, Warminster BA12 6AQ
- Hog Roast Kitchen, 24 Stirling Rd Longstanton Cambridge CB24 1BD
- Metal Monkey, 19C Market St, Kettering NN16 0AH, UK
- The Pumphouse Café, 6 Nene Court the Embankment Wellingborough NN8 1LD
- Brackley Central Café, Station House, Top Station Rd, Brackley NN13 7UG, UK
- On Yer Bike Café, A41 Bicester Rd Westcott Bicester Aylesbury HP18 0JX
- The Old Prison Café, A429 Fosse Way Northleach Cheltenham GL54 3JH
- Bashley Manor, B3055, New Milton BH25 5TQ, UK
- Coffee & Drift Café, Quay View Admirals Court Quay Rd Lymington SO41 3ET
- The Waterfront Bar & Café, The Beach Madeira Rd Totland Bay PO39 0BQ
- Boat House Café, 19 Blakes Rd Bognor Regis PO22 7EE
- Goodwood Aerodrome Café, Goodwood Aerodrome, Goodwood, Chichester PO18 0PH, UK
- The Chocolate Frog Company & Café, Oakhanger Bordon GU35 9JA
- Fork in the Road, 5 Bradnor Rd, Wythenshawe, Manchester M22 4TS, UK
- Relics ‘n’ Rust Lifestyle Shop and Café, Commercial Brow Hyde SK14 2JW
- Tuck Inn, 186-196, A5004, Whaley Bridge, High Peak SK23 7JX
To learn more about what’s happening in the world of British biking, visit the Vertu Motorcycles blog.