Muscular dystrophy is referred to as a group of more than 30 genetic or inherited diseases, which lead to muscle weakness. These conditions are a type of Myopathy and ailment of the skeletal muscles. It can make muscles weaker and also cause them to shrink, affecting a person’s ability to conduct regular activities like brushing the teeth and walking.
It can also affect the lungs and heart. Several forms of this condition develop during childhood or are apparent at birth. But other forms develop during adulthood. Even though there is no cure, the doctor might suggest some medications.
You can use the Bajajfinserv health EMI network card to get the medication or help you need for this condition. But to manage this condition, you first have to learn about its causes and symptoms. Read this article to know more.
Muscular Dystrophy: The Symptoms!
One of the main symptoms of Muscular Dystrophy is muscle weakness. But depending on the type, the condition affects different parts and muscles of the body. Here are some of the other symptoms or signs of this condition:
- Difficulty in running or walking.
- Unusual walking gait [Like waddling].
- Enlarged calf muscles.
- Breathing Issues.
- Curved Spine.
- Heart-related issues like heart failure and arrhythmia.
- Trouble swallowing.
- Learning disabilities.
- Loose or stiff joints.
You can speak with the bestneurologist in Hyderabad to help you get the correct treatment. Proper treatment can lessen the symptoms of this condition effectively.
What Causes Muscular Dystrophy?
Genetic mutation or changes are the causes of most forms of Muscular Dystrophy. Both or one parent can pass a faulty gene to their child even when they don’t have this particular condition. It’s rare to find a person who develops this condition spontaneously, that is without a known cause.
Various Types Of Muscular Dystrophy
There are several types of Muscular Dystrophy that many people suffer from, and under this section, you will learn about some of them.
- BMD Or Becker Muscular Dystrophy: Becker Muscular Dystrophy or BM is a common type of Muscular Dystrophy. The symptoms of this condition can occur anytime between 5 years to 60 years. But it mainly occurs during the teen years. Males have a higher chance of developing BMD than women, and the condition can affect the shoulder muscles, hip, thigh, and even the heart.
- FSHD Or Facioscapulohumeral Muscular Dystrophy: This is the 3rd most-common kind of Muscular Dystrophy. This condition affects the face muscles, upper arms, and shoulder blades. FSHD or Facioscapulohumeral Muscular Dystrophy symptoms appear before the age of 20.
- CMD or Congenital Dystrophies: CMD or Congenital Dystrophies are present during birth. A newborn will have curved joints and weak muscles. Children with CMD might have vision issues, learning disabilities, and seizures.
- EDMD Or Emery-Dreiffus Muscular Dystrophy: This condition mostly affects children. Weak calf muscles, shoulders, and upper arms are symptoms that appear after the age of 10. Emery-Dreiffus Muscular Dystrophy can also affect the heart.
- LGMD Or Limb-Girdle Muscular Dystrophy: This condition affects the muscles of the hips and shoulders. LGMD affects all age groups.
What Medication Will The Best Neurologist In Hyderabad Suggest?
The best neurologist in Hyderabad will suggest the following medications for Muscular Dystrophy. They are:
- Exondys 51 [Eteplirsen]: This is a weekly injection for people with a specific Dystrophin gene mutation, which is agreeable to Exon 51 skipping.
- Vyondys 53 [Golodirsen]: This is another weekly injection, which you can opt for through the bajajfinserv health EMI network card. This injection is for those with dystrophin gene differences acquiescent to Exon 53 skipping.
- Viltepso [Viltolarsen]: The Viltepso is a weekly injection given to people who have dystrophin gene difference that is acquiescent to Exon 53 skipping.
Final Thoughts Through this article, you have a good idea of what Muscular Dystrophy is. You have also learnt about its various causes, medications, types, and symptoms.