It’s ‘Afternoon Tea Week’ 8- 14 August. You’d be forgiven for thinking the most important question is “cream or jam first”?
However, for a sparkling Afternoon Tea, the more important question is Champagne or English Sparkling wine?
• Sales of English and Welsh wines increased by 31% last year to 9.3 million bottles
• English Sparkling wines are a great alternative to Champagne – made from the same grapes and grown in similar soils – but without the hefty price tag!
• Data from Vivino, the world’s largest wine app and marketplace, and its community of 60 million wine drinkers, shows English wines rising in popularity and quality.
• Five English Sparkling wines hit the top 10 sparkling wines under £30 at the most recent Vivino Community Awards, judged by the world’s most honest critics, Vivino’s community of wine drinkers
• During the same awards, only two Champagnes featured in the top 10.
Aidy Smith, Vivino Global Brand Ambassador, commented: “It’s fantastic, though not surprising, to see English wines so highly-rated amongst UK wine drinkers due to their increasing quality. Over the past 18 months we’ve all found time to focus on what’s being produced locally, exploring new and interesting wine styles – especially our own. It’s beautiful to see a flourishing British wine scene and I expect this trend to continue to grow and be a mainstay of our winning wines for years to come,”
English Sparkling Wines to make your Afternoon Tea fizz!
• Camel Valley Cornwall Reserve Brut – £29.99 – 4.3 / 5 Vivino Star Rating
• Nyetimber Classic Cuvee Brut – £29.99 – 4.3 / 5 Vivino Star Rating
• Chapel Down Rosé Brut N.V. – £29.00 – 4.2 / 5 Vivino Star Rating
• Hattingley Valley Blanc de Blanc – £40.44 – 4.1 / 5 Vivino Star Rating
• Wiston Rosé Brut N.V – £41.95 – 4.0 / 5 Vivino Star Rating
Vivino empowers people to enjoy wine to the fullest. Wine is about so much more than just a great label; it’s about an experience and community and, of course, what’s in the bottle. That’s where Vivino comes in. As the world’s largest online wine marketplace and most downloaded wine app, the Vivino community is made up of millions of wine drinkers from around the world, coming together to make buying the right wine simple, straightforward, and fun. Vivino uses crowd-sourced data to personalise wine recommendations so that every community member feels confident about their wine choices. Created for everyone who likes wine—from the wine curious to the wine enthusiast—the Vivino app is available for free on both Apple and Android devices.
With nearly two billion wine label scans and hundreds of millions of unbiased reviews and ratings, no one is better placed than Vivino’s 60 million-strong community to bring wine drinkers of the world closer to the wines they’ll love.
Vivino uses star ratings (out of five) to guide you to the top-rated wines, before using ‘Match for You’ to customise the results so they’re 100% personalised to your own tastes. Afterall, everyone has different tastes and interprets star ratings differently – a wine with a 4.2 / 5 star rating for you may only be a 3.5 / 5 star rating for someone else.
The more wines you rate and review, the better ‘Match for You’ works. Once you have rated at least five wines, you will see a match score on every wine based on a 100 percent scale – entirely customised to you.
Vivino can be downloaded free of charge from the Apple Store and Google Play store.